Thursday, October 27, 2011

Even Now

I started at their little Ohio school in 5th grade. I remember it like it was yesterday. I sat next to Bridget, and though we both knew each other from our church- we’d been in the same class since first grade- but we weren’t close friends or anything. But hey, the not being friend’s thing could change. I sat with Lucy that day at lunch, and she told me all about the school- the cool teachers, people to avoid, the cafeteria food- the chicken nuggets and pizza were good, but the hamburgers and the Salisbury steaks weren’t. The next day I sat with Bridget, then Lucy, then Bridget. We eventually began sitting together, the three of us. We became inseparable. Us apart? Unthinkable. We started a little "club", if you will. It was just the three of us. We pretended to be super heroes- Lucy was Roxxi, Bridget was Brittany, and I was Mary Kate. It evolved to a huge game of House. Love, friends, breakups, family- even in fifth grade we had it down pat. We called it Super Girls, AKA SGs. We hung out all the time, playing SGs. We loved it. It lasted for a year, of all three of us at the same school.

Bridget switched schools at the beginning of sixth grade. Me and Lucy continued it, and we tried to keep Bridget in the loop. Bridget went to my church, so I'd fill her in on Sunday mornings and Wednesdays nights at our youth group. Eventually, Bridget kinda just.... faded from Super Girls. Me and Bridget stayed friends, but her and Lucy just grew apart, I guess.

Me and Lucy kept playing Super Girls. She moved across the state the summer before seventh grade (we're freshmen now), and we kept SGs going. We did it over the phone, on IM, at sleepovers, but it stopped at the middle of eighth grade. I don’t know why, but it just… stopped. I know, it sounds lame. We played house until eighth grade? Weird, I get it. But it was what we did best. It was fun. It was us.
Lucy and I? Our sleepovers are now far and few between. Every time we try to get something together, she cancels last minute. Lucy likes her new school, has new best friends, we rarely talk, but I still consider her one of my best friends. Why? Only God knows. But it hurts to see how much she loves her new life, and how she left me in the dust. But I guess I just gotta move on, because as far as I know, she has.

I feel like I’m losing friends left and right. First Lucy, and now Bridget’s leaving soon. It’s not fair! I never wanted to lose any of these friends. I love them all so much.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to help you and not to hurt you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I know that the verse above is true, you have no idea how much I know it. It’s just really hard to believe it sometimes. Like now. But even now, I try to trust Him.

Even Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment